Tweet Spring Flowers
Welcome to the May Arts blog. We don’t know about you, but we’re ready for Spring! It’s time to bid good bye to the snow and cold and welcome green grass, singing birds, and blooming spring flowers. The submissions for the Spring Flowers DT search will be previewed soon. I can’t wait to see what you’ve created! In anticipation, I’m sharing a little spring flower project of my own.
I found these little wooden bird houses at my local craft store for $1.
I thought they would be perfect table decorations for a baby shower and then later as a decorative accent in the baby’s room.
May Arts Ribbon and a few simple supplies were all that was needed to turn this house into the cutest one on the block.
Here’s your supply list:
- Wooden bird house
- Mod Podge
- Acrylic Paint
- Scor-Tape – ¼” and ½”
- 2 – 4” paper doilies
- Paint Brush
- Jolee’s Boutique Quilled Flowers
- Designer Paper – Imaginesce Fairest of them All
- Small chiffon rose (optional)
- Sanding block
- Glue Dots
- Cutting blade
1. Remove cord from birdhouse. Paint with acrylic paint. Let dry.
2. Lay designer paper over each side of the house. Roughly cut pieces for each side of the house. Press the paper firmly into the edges of the house under the roof and along each side creating a pattern for cutting. Press the perch as well. Trim large pieces with scissors. Use the cutting blade to trim the hole and under the eaves. Use a punch to punch out a hole for the perch. Don’t worry if it tears a little, the Mod Podge will seal it down.
3. Once all pieces are cut, coat one side at a time with Mod Podge. Firmly press the paper onto each side making sure there are no bubbles.
4. Coat the sides with a layer of Mod Podge. Let dry. Use your sanding block or sanding tool to sand the hole and the edges of the house until they’re smooth.
5. Lay 3 strips of ½” Scor-Tape on each side of the roof.
Starting at the bottom, pleat the XA17 Pom Pom edged ribbon onto each strip of tape, turning the edges under on each side.
6. Cut about 12 inches of AR17 ¼” Ric Rac. Push both ends through the hole at the top of the birdhouse. Pull it through until you can tie the ends into a knot. Trim if necessary, and then pull up.
7. Run a strip of ¼” Scor-Tape around the edge of the roof. Beginning on the side, press AR17 onto the tape. Trim evenly.
8. Use Glue Dots to stick quilled flowers to the front of the house. Cut the Satin Leaves – BY66 into individual leaves. Stick over the flowers stems and to the house using Glue Dots. Glue button on the end of the perch.
9. Cut the doilies approx. 2 ¾” wide and 1 ½” tall. Place a strip of ¼” Scor- Tape on each side of the base of birdhouse. Place another strip on all 4 sides of the bottom of the house. Stick the cut doilies onto the edge of each folding ½” under and sticking to the base of the house.
If desired, stick two leaves and chiffon rose to the peak of the house.
That’s it. A beautiful one of a kind decoration for pennies thanks to beautiful May Arts ribbon!!
Welcome Spring! We’re ready for you!
Blog Post By: Charlene Driggs