Ornament Frames and a Card
Day 3 – May Arts / Creative Imaginations Blog Week!
With the holiday season fast approaching, I’m constantly on the look out for inexpensive and quick, but meaningful and beautiful gifts for family and friends. The variety of Creative Imaginations/Luminarte products teamed with wonderful May Arts Ribbon fit the bill! Karen from The Bald Dragonfly here to show you two handmade projects perfect for gift giving–ornament frames and a card!
First, let’s gather the supplies for the framed ornaments.
- ~8 inches May Arts Burlap String
- Marah Johnson Monarch Die Cut Shape Frames from Creative Imaginations
- Creative Imaginations Luminarte Twinkling H2Os
- (Hot Cinnamon, Ginger Peach, Sunburst)
- Circle Punch
- Adhesive Glue and Tape
After you’ve gathered your supplies, paint the front and back side of the die cut .The existing shading on the frames make painting really easy. I only highlighted a bit with the red and orange paint, letting the yellow do most of the work. The drying time with the Twinkling H2Os is minimal, so you won’t have to wait long to complete your project. Your finished painted piece will resemble a nice gilded frame.
The steps to assemble the ornaments are super easy and quick.
1. Cut to size a chipboard backing piece and cover with cardstock. Punch a half circle from the backing and sand all edges.
2. Apply glue to the sides and bottom on the inside of the backing. Adhere a length of burlap string with strong double sided adhesive on the top of the backing.
3. Adhere your finished backing to the frame and allow to dry.
I always have an abundance of those small school pictures as part of the big package, and these frames were the perfect size to show them off!
Since most of my relatives live a long distance away, of course I needed an equally elegant hand crafted card to “protect” the framed ornaments during the mailing process. I love layering May Arts ribbon to create a beautiful texture on my cards.
The steps for making this card were also easy!
- Cut your cardstock base and patterned panel to size. The patterned paper is the beautiful pre-embossed paper, also from the Marah Johnson Collection by Creative Imaginatations/Luminarte. I chose to keep it in its natural form and color as it was so beautiful and elegant already! Simply ink the edges of the pattnered panel to make the embossed pattern stand out even more.
- Wrap the patterned paper with May Arts Satin Band Two Tone Ribbon in Gold, then May Arts 5/8” Satin Pleated Ribbon in Cream and finally May Arts Burlap String in Natural. Tie the string in a bow.
- Stamp tag and adhere to layered ribbon.
- Adhere patterned paper/ribbon panel to cardstock base with dimensional adhesive.
I really enjoyed working with Creative Imaginations/Luminarte projects, they pair so well with the vast array of ribbon offered by May Arts. I have many, many more relatives and I’m off to make more framed ornaments!
Blog post by: Karen Baker