Welcome to the May Arts blog! The season for gift giving is fast approaching and if your budget is like mine, you’re on the lookout for gifts that won’t break your piggy bank . This time of year usually brings lots of birthdays in our family in addition to holiday giving; so I need gifts that are what my friend, Chrissie, likes to say are “substantial” but don’t cost a "substantial" amount of money!
Here we go! I’m going to show you how you can take a simple bar of wonderful scented soap like this:
and a few supplies like this:
And turn them into a “Substantial” gift like this:
Here’s your supply list:
- Heavyweight Designer Paper of Choice – I used the beautifully textured DCWV Eco (love it!)
- Solid color color cardstock to match your DP plus scraps for the tag
- Self adhesive extra thin Velcro dots (optional)
- Scoring Tool
- Brayer (optional)
- May Arts Double Faced Satin ribbon – HA 3/8” (if using two colors, you will need 1 yard of each)
- Embellishments of choice – flowers (I made mine but you can use pre-made), pearls, gold leaves
I’m going to use a confetti paper so that you can see the measurements and scores but matching your cardstock to your DP adds an extra touch of elegance.
I have included the measurements in my photos for your convenience but you may need to make adjustments since your soap may be larger or smaller. It helps to make a master pattern before cutting your final papers.
1. Measure your soap. You will need the actual measurements length, width and height plus ¼” added to the length and width.
2. Cut and score your paper. My measurements are 9.5” x 7.25”.
3. If using my measurements, align the 9.5” side to the top of your scoring tool.
Score at: ½” – 3.5” – 5” – 8”
4. Align the 7.25” along the top of the scoring tool.
Score at: 1.5” on EACH side
5. Cut your designer paper and score exactly the same as your base. Use your Glue Arts High Tac tape gun to adhere the designer paper to the solid base. I use my brayer to make sure the papers make good contact.
6. Fold on all the scored lines making to press each area firmly.
7. Make cuts along the 9.5” side at each scored line stopping when you reach the vertical scored line.
8. Apply Glue Arts High Tac tape to the ¼” section. Make sure to place the tape on the RIGHT side of the paper (DP side).
9. Adhere so the ¼” section is inside the box. (Remember I’m using light paper so you can see better)
10. Fold the end flaps to the inside of the box, short ends first. Apply tape to the inside of one of the top flap on the outside and adhere.
11. I want my box to be reuseable (your recipient will love that!) so I used thin Velcro dots on the opposite end.
12. Insert your soap, embellish as desired and make your tag.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this simple tutorial. We can’t wait to see your gift boxes!!
Blog Posted By: Charlene Driggs