Burlap String Art Cards
There is something about receiving a handmade greeting card, especially when it is bright, fun and full of texture! Having been heavily inspired by this post by Delightfully, Kristi, I decided to create some string art cards of my own! Of course, I had to put a fun twist on them by using the amazing array of Burlap String available at May Arts.
Instead of hand-drawing my own design, I used a die-cut to determine the shape.
- I simply traced lightly around the edge of the die-cut onto heavy cardstock with pencil.
- I love using this particular manufacture for this technique, as there are pre-determined spacing already there for you! I simply marked every other stitch as a guide to where to poke the holes for my string.
- Then I used a large needle as an awl to poke holes in the cardstock.
I chose to make my butterfly a bright, sunny yellow (SM27) so I threaded the string onto a needle and started threading the string onto the paper. I went from one side to the other, filling in each dot with string. (I secured the beginning thread and ending thread to the paper with masking tape.) The above picture shows the backside of the finished string art. I finished the butterfly by creating a body and antennae with orange Burlap String (SM38), and stamped an appropriate greeting.
Here’s my version of the inspiration piece, using a lovely fuchsia color of burlap string (SM36). I did not poke a hole in the middle of the heart, rather I started from the top of the heart and threaded to the bottom, then moved to the next top hole over and the next bottom hole over until the heart was shaped.
This technique is so fun, and the burlap string really gives an amazing texture to the card. I am amazed at all the colors of the burlap string that May Arts has available, you can check out the entire line here!
By Karen Baker
Other Supplies Used:
- Onyx Black Versafine Ink by Tsukineko
- Lil’ Inker Designs Dual Stitched Butterfly Dies and Heart Dies
- Lil’ Inker Designs It’s Today, Right? and Sending You Stamps
- Neenah Solar White Cardstock
- Masking Tape