Welcome back to the May Arts Blog! We all love quick and easy projects that we can make with the kids or give as gifts when time are at a premium.
These laminated ribbon bookmarks made with May Arts Ribbons are perfect for both occasions. Even better, you can use your scrap ribbons as embellishments.
I chose to laminate my bookmarks for two reasons. First of all, laminating keeps the ribbons clean, gives them extra body and it eliminates any worries about fraying. Secondly, I found this cool little laminator at a major office supply store’s online site for $25 and free shipping. It even came with a whole package of laminating sheets so it was ready to go right out of the box. Love that!
Making your own unique bookmarks is so easy.
- Cut your ribbons the length of the laminating sheet. In my case, it was 11 inches. Depending on the width of your ribbon, you can get 3-4 bookmarks per sheet. Layer with ribbon scraps or photos using double sided tape to keep the embellishments in place. (photo shows a half sheet)
- Run the sheets through the laminator. Since no external heat is generated, this is a great hands-on project for the kids. Younger children may need some help guiding the laminating sheet into the machine.
3. Cut the bookmarks apart leaving about a 1/8 inch border around the ribbon.
That’s it! These would be great for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gifts personalized with photos that bring back memories of special events.
Kids love seeing pictures of themselves so make several to tuck into their books to encourage reading or laminate their class photo as a gift for the teacher. Put them into Easter baskets or backpacks for a fun surprise.
Tuck some into a cookbook to hold your place for favorite recipes or give one as a gift tucked inside a book.
If you don’t have a laminator, no problem! Just use May Arts grosgrain, print out a favorite photo and stitch the photo onto the ribbon with May Arts Burlap Twine. Make holes in the corners of the photo with a paper piercer then stitch and knot each corner individually.
We hope you’ve been inspired to create some one-of-a-kind gifts using beautiful May Arts Ribbons.
Blog post by: Charlene Driggs
May Arts Ribbons Used:
- 351 2.5" Grosgrain
- QH 1.5" Grosgrain
- KB 1.5" Solid Check
- DD 5/8" Grosgrain Polka Dot
- ARR 1/2" Ric Rac
- 374 1" Sheer Floral Vine
Other Supplies Used:
- Laminating Machine/sheets
- Double sided tape