Welcome to the May Arts Blog. I’ve got a super easy project today that you can accomplish in under an hour. May Arts Ribbon makes it not only useful but beautiful as well.
Here’s your supply list:
- 36 inch by 18 inch piece fiberglass mesh (also called Pet Screen)
- Approx. 5 yards May Arts 1 ½ inch Cotton (385-15-10) Grosgrain would work well too.
- Sewing machine
- Make sure the ends of your fiberglass are even, trimming if necessary.
- Cut ribbon as follows:
2 pieces – 60 inches
2 pieces - 20 inches
2 pieces – 18 inches
- Fold one of the 18 inch ribbons in half. Iron or hand- press, then enclose the 18 inch side of the mesh (top of bag) in the ribbon. Pin and sew each end close to the edge. Repeat on the other side
- Sew the ends of the 60 inch ribbons together with a ½ inch seam to make a large racetrack loop. Press or hand press the seams open.
- Fold the mesh in half. Press along the middle to crease. Unfold then beginning at the fiberglass crease, pin the ribbon to the mesh 5 ½” from the ends. Sew close to the ribbon ends making sure to backstitch your ends. Clip threads. Repeat on the other side.
- Fold mesh in half. Fold down and press the ends of the 20 inch pieces of ribbon. Trim the ends.
Done! A super lightweight, durable bag for shopping or the beach! You can find a printable/downloadable tutorial here.
Blog post by: Charlene Driggs
Check out our Craft Challenge entries for a chance to win our Silk Ribbon!